Building new co-op homes
CHF Canada is helping build more co-op homes across Canada.
A quarter million people live in thriving co-op housing communities, but most have long or closed waiting lists. We want all Canadians to have the option of living in a housing co-op.
In 2017 the Canadian government released the National Housing Strategy.
In 2018 CHF Canada’s members approved a Vision Framework with a simple ambitious goal: Co-op housing for all.
In 2022, the federal government announced $1.5 billion in funding and loans to build more co-op homes, and committed to working with CHF Canada and the broader co-op sector to co-design the new Co-operative Housing Development Program.
CHF Canada’s role in development
- CHF Canada is advocating for better opportunities to develop and expand housing co-ops;
- We are forging relationships with sector organizations (see development with partners stories, below), and
- We’ve developed a list of technical professionals to help co-ops that want to build new co-op homes. These consultants are offering preferred pricing for our members. Learn more here. If your co-op needs technical assistance, contact us (see below).
- Learn about the Co-operative housing for all vision.
- Watch our April 2022 webinar: They’re multiplying! Co-op housing growth across Canada.
- Browse Co-op Infill Development stories.
- Browse Development with Partner Organizations stories.
Find resources for your co-op
- Our curated list of Development Resources for every step of your project.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: CMHC has information and resources on developing new affordable housing through new construction and converting existing buildings. CMHC is a key national funding provider.
- Community Housing Transformation Centre: The Transformation Centre provides grants and has resources for community housing across Canada.
For more information, contact:
Jessica Bundy Co-ordinator / Co-operative Housing Development
1-800-268-2537 ext 801