Building new co-op homes
CHF Canada is helping build more co-op homes across Canada.
A quarter million people live in thriving co-op housing communities; but most have long or closed waiting lists. We want all Canadians to have the option of living in a housing co-op.
In 2017 the Canadian government released the National Housing Strategy.
In 2018 CHF Canada’s members approved a Vision Framework with a simple ambitious goal: Co-op housing for all.
The Framework commits CHF Canada and our members to pursue the development across Canada of:
- Co-op-led co-op homes (existing co-ops adding new co-op homes through infill or expansion)
- Sector-led co-op homes (new housing co-ops developed by land trusts and partnerships).
CHF Canada’s role in development
CHF Canada is advocating for better opportunities to develop and expand housing co-ops. We are also forging relationships with sector organizations (see sector-led stories, below).
CHF Canada is supporting member co-ops through education and referrals.
- Summer, 2021: members will have access to more information and resources.
- Fall, 2021: we will have a formalized list of affordable housing development consultants working in your region.
For more information, contact:
- Melissa Estable Manager / Co-operative Housing Development
- firstname.lastname@example.org (416) 366-1711, x 251
Find resources for your co-op!
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: CMHC has information and resources on developing new affordable housing through new construction and converting existing buildings. CMHC is a key national funding provider.
- Community Housing Transformation Centre: The Transformation Centre provides grants and has resources for community housing across Canada.