What is the Co‑operative Housing Federation of Toronto (CHFT)?
The oldest federation in Canada, CHFT was founded in 1973 to develop, represent and serve housing co‑ops in Toronto; members now include co-ops in the York and Durham regions. There are over 160 CHFT member co‑ops.
CHFT is a founding member of Ontario Co-op Housing Federations. A staff member represents CHFT on CHF Canada’s Federations Committee.
How is CHFT run?
CHFT is governed by a board of nine directors. The board works with an executive director, who supervises 10 staff members.
Member services include:
- over-the-phone advice
- in-depth consultation
- chairing of difficult meetings
- public and government relations
- Co‑op Cost-Cutters
- mediation services to resolve disputes between neighbours
- sweep-account investment pooling
- job-readiness training and emergency loans linked with credit counselling are some newer services provided for individual co‑op members
- trained instructors delivering a wide-range of workshops in co‑op living and management
- leading publishing partner with CHF Canada, creating and updating training materials
- lobbying activities with CHF Canada on behalf of CHFT members, and
- active participation in CHF Canada’s diversity program.
How can I contact CHFT?
306-658 Danforth Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4J 5B9
Phone: (416) 465-8688
Fax: (416) 465-8337
For more information please visit the CHFT website.