Awards, Grants and Scholarships
Each year, CHF Canada celebrates accomplishments in co-operative housing by presenting awards to co-ops and longstanding members. We also support co-op-driven special projects through grants as well as individual development and training through scholarships and discounts.
- Award for Co-operative Achievement: This award recognizes an inspiring achievement by a CHF Canada member. To be eligible, a member co-op or organization must fulfil certain criteria. The winner receives $2,500 and is recognized at the Annual General Meeting.
- Co-op Housing Champion Award: The Co-op Housing Champion Award is awarded every two years and celebrates a remarkable individual whose presence, efforts and community spirit have helped make their co-op and neighbourhood a better place to live.
- Member Loyalty Award: CHF Canada recognizes co-ops and other longstanding members with Member Loyalty Awards. Once your housing co-op has been a CHF Canada member continuously for 20, 30 or 40 years, CHF Canada staff will present you with a Member Loyalty Award at CHF Canada’s next AGM or at your co-op.
- Regional Diversity Grant: CHF Canada supports projects that promote and celebrate diversity in housing co-op communities. The diversity project should benefit as many CHF Canada members as possible. This grant is offered every second year.
- Greener Co-op Microgrant: This program provides small grants to support co-op projects that will have a positive impact on the environment or that decrease consumption of resources and energy. Grants are approved on a first-come, first-served basis each spring. (2023 applications are now closed).
- Management Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to individuals working in housing co-op management. The program of study must be relevant to improving the business skills of property managers, including but not limited to building asset management, finance and administration. The deadline for the first round is April 1, 2024.
- Diversity Scholarship: The Diversity Scholarship program recognizes young people living in housing co-ops who are actively promoting diversity in their community. Open to all members members living in the Atlantic provinces, Southwestern Ontario and Manitoba, the scholarship provides financial assistance to people entering post-secondary education or to full-time students currently pursuing a degree. The Diversity Scholarship program is offered in partnership with our federation partners across the country.
- Young Member Discount: CHF Canada offers bursaries for young members (under 35) to attend CHF Canada’s Annual Meeting and other regional education events. This is a great way for young leaders to network and meet with peers, and for co-ops to support leadership renewal in their co-op.
- Long-Term Service Awards: Long-term service awards recognize those long-standing managers and maintenance staff who are key stakeholders in our movement.