Historically, Ontario co-ops were employers of their own staff. Today, many housing co-ops still directly hire their own staff, while others use property-management companies.
Staff are valued as partners in the creation of a co-op’s vibrant and inclusive community life. Co-op employees have organized themselves into regional incorporated associations or more casual networking groups.
- fund their work through annual member dues and fees for service
- offer mutual support and share information
- provide a range of services, such as training and legal advice
- are active members in local federations and CHF Canada
- elect a co-op employee as the Ontario Council staff-associations representative
CHF Canada has tools and training to help co‑ops in their role as employers and staff in their role as employees.
CHF Canada provides financial support for the Staff Associations for their education, training and marketing purposes.
Co-ordinators Association of Southwestern Ontario (CASO)
P.O. Box 24062 Weston Postal Outlet
London, ON N6H 5C4
Co‑operative Housing Co-ordinators Hamilton-Niagara Area (CHCHNA)
CoAction Staff Association (CoAction)
260 Adelaide Street East, Box 52
Toronto, ON M5A 1N1
Phone: (416) 575-0810
Co‑operative Staff Association of Central Ontario (CSACO)