End of Mortgage
In Ontario, housing co-ops administered by municipal service managers are governed by the Housing Services Act (HSA) and its regulations.
CHF Canada and its members pushed for and won some protections for HSA co-ops as they reach the end of their mortgage (EOM).
Regulation changes were introduced in March, 2022 to establish a path forward for HSA co-ops as they come out of their mortgage. Read our early analysis of how these changes will impact HSA co-ops.
Every HSA co-op needs to make plans for their future and prepare to negotiate a service agreement. CHF Canada and Ontario’s regional federations will help co-ops through the process.
As details are worked out, find information and resources here.
- NEW! Recording of EOM update webinar (October, 2023) Watch this recording of a webinar on the latest End of Mortgage news for co-op members and board directors. To access the recording, please enter this passcode: ZX^jD8+$
- Guide for Housing Services Act (HSA) housing co-operatives entering into service agreements This document will help your co-op make informed decisions affecting your new Service Agreement. Know how to prepare and present your co-op’s key positions and objectives to your Service Manager.
- Service Agreement regulation FAQ Use this FAQ from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing when your co-op is making plans for EOM. (March, 2023)
- EOM Checklist Use this checklist to prepare your co-op for Service Agreement talks with your Service Manager.
- Preparing your co-op to negotiate at EOM This resource will help your co-op prepare for and conduct a successful negotiation.
- Techniques for EOM negotiations Use this resource for tips to assist your co-op conduct a successful negotiation.
- Negative subsidy forecast tool Calculate a rough estimate of the subsidy to be received from your Service Manager when the co-op’s mortgage is paid in full under the current funding formula.