Late Resolution 1: Repair, renovation, and remediation in housing co-operatives
SUBMITTED BY: Fédération des coopératives d’habitation intermunicipale du Montréal Métropolitain
CONTACT: Pierre-Alain Cotnoir
206-7000 Parc Avenue
Tel: (514) 843-6929
This resolution is for the meeting of:
✓ All CHF Canada members
- THAT co-ops and federations across Canada work together to advocate to the federal government to ensure existing co-op housing is maintained in good repair.
OUR REASONS FOR THIS RESOLUTION ARE:
- The construction standards and building codes at the time of construction the majority of housing co-operatives were lower than those currently in place.
- Many co-ops face issues of soil contamination and infiltration. This makes it difficult to access private financing.
- This results in higher costs for building renovation and renewal, difficulty in obtaining financing. Without public grants and loans, housing charges will need to be increased significantly to accomplish necessary repairs and remediation.
- The federal government should maintain investments in repair, renovation and remediation of housing co-operatives.
WE THINK THAT THIS WILL COST:
BOARD OF DIRECTORS: ( ) SUPPORT ( ) NON‑SUPPORT ( X ) NEUTRAL