Risk Management Program
CHF Canada, and our partners, The Co-operators, want co-op homes to be safe. That’s why we’ve collaborated on a Risk Management Program to help you identify and fix risks at your co-op.
Our 2019 checklist is ready! We encourage you to complete it, whether or not you participated in the Risk Management program in 2018.
Please fill out one Risk Management Checklist for each unit in your co-op. We’ll work with you to start fixing the hidden risks in your co-op homes.
The Co-operators and CHF Canada have the expertise to help you every step of the way. We are committed to making our co-ops safer and helping keep your insurance affordable.
It’s not too late to complete the 2018 checklist. In 2018, the first year of the program, 184 co-ops completed over 6,500 unit inspection checklists. Thanks to all of the member co-ops that have completed these checklists and sent them in.
Please complete and return the checklists as soon as you can, as they are a valuable tool to reduce your claims and identify risks in your housing co-op that could lead to a claim.
Important Documents & Links:
- Instructions and information about the Risk Management program
- Risk Management checklist for your co-op to print and complete
- Helpful safety information for members
- Fill out the Risk Management Checklist online
Here’s what you need to know:
Why are we doing this?
- To make sure your co-op’s members are safe! We have revised our Risk Management checklist and included new questions based on our past claims history that have to do with fires, water damage, slip and falls. Checking for these risks in and around the co-op units and fixing them could help prevent injuries and property damage. The Co-operators will also continue their regular inspections of the common areas to help prevent claims.
- Preventing risks helps lower insurance premiums for everyone in the program. With fewer claims, everyone in the program saves money.
- If you don’t find and fix the risks in your units, it could impact your insurance coverage.
How does this benefit my co-op?
Your members will be safer when they become aware of the common risks around their units and fix them. Safer units could result in fewer and smaller claims. This could bring down your co-op’s premium.
Every year, your co-op works with your Co-operators representative at renewal time to complete a Risk Management Qualifier. Co-ops that achieve Gold status will see an additional credit applied to their insurance premium for the 2020 policy year. Participating in our Risk Management Program and returning your completed checklists will go a long way toward that Gold status and saving your co-op money!
With fewer claims made against the program, the program rates will go down as well.
What does my co-op need to do?
Please complete one checklist per unit and return the completed checklists to CHF Canada.
What if my co-op isn’t able to complete checklists for every unit?
We hope that you will have access to every unit and check for risks throughout the whole co-op. If that is not possible, please look at a sample number of units (at least 15% of the units in your co-op) and send us the completed checklists for those units.
Completing the checklists
It is very important to be in compliance with your by-laws and occupancy agreement (e.g. giving appropriate advance notice
before anyone enters the units to complete the checklists).
There are options:
- The checklists can be completed at the same time as annual unit inspections.
- Separate copies can be given to each member and they can complete it for their own unit.
- Ask the property manager if this could fit into their regular hours or if staff could be hired for additional hours.
- The checklist can be completed online at http://su.vc/chfcanada-fhcc-2019.
Once the checklists are completed, they can be scanned and emailed to Deniz Bilgen at firstname.lastname@example.org or they can be
Commercial Insurance Risk Management
Attention: Deniz Bilgen
311-225 Metcalfe Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 1P9
Educating members to keep them safe
Education is key! We have prepared a list of common risks to help raise awareness and prevent claims. Please give a copy to each member. This is for their review and should NOT be returned to CHF Canada.
How could this impact our insurance coverage?
There are many places in a co-op where risk of injury or accidents can occur. Our job is to work with your
co-op to help identify and fix the risks in the units before they become serious.
Our Co-ordinator, Insurance and Risk Management, Deniz Bilgen, will review the checklists and talk to you
about what he finds. He will work with you to develop a plan to fix the risks and keep the co-op safe.
The Co-operators wants to support your risk management efforts and will not restrict your coverage or
increase your premiums because of anything brought to light by these checklists, as long as your co-op
is working towards fixing the problem.
We’re here to help
You can reach Deniz at 1-800-465-2752 ext. 229 or email@example.com if you have any questions.