Help make the case for co-op housing: respond to Ontario’s housing affordability consultation
Published December 16, 2021
The province of Ontario has just announced a new public consultation on housing affordability. This is an important opportunity to have your voice heard, and to speak up for co-op housing.
To take part, the province is asking individuals and organizations to fill out this survey. It should take around 15-30 minutes to complete. The deadline to respond is January 13, 2022 at 4:00pm.
In the survey you can encourage the province to:
- Ensure there is increased housing supply across the entire spectrum, including community-based co-operative housing.
- Ensure that existing housing co-ops, and their low-income members, are protected at the end of mortgage.
- Let the government know why your co-op is important to you, and why it’s important that your co-op is guaranteed a reasonable funding formula at the end of mortgage so that it can continue to look after your home and welcome members into your community who are low-income.
- Partner with existing co-ops and non-profits to build more affordable housing on land owned both by the co-ops and non-profits and the government.
- Allow more municipalities to use inclusionary zoning to help build more affordable housing.
- Work with municipalities to ensure all development fees are waived for new affordable housing.
You can also consider these statements:
- Co-op housing is a great alternative to renting or buying.
- Investing in affordable housing creates jobs, grows the economy, and keeps life affordable.
- The need for more affordable housing in my community is my top concern.
DEADLINE: January 13, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Don't miss out on the latest co-op news, success stories, and helpful resources for your co-op. Sign up here to receive our eNews every two weeks straight to your inbox!