Is your co-op celebrating Black History Month?
Published February 06, 2019
Black History Month, celebrated in February each year, is an opportunity to reflect on and celebrate the achievements of Black Canadians, past and present. This year’s theme is “Black Canadian Youth: Boundless, Rooted and Proud.”
We encourage co-ops to mark Black History Month. Here are some ideas:
- Share information on local Black History Month events with co-op members
- Screen a documentary about important historical figures or events
- Have a book club to discuss writing by a Black Canadian author
- Have an event to raise money for an organization in your community that supports Black youth
Is your co-op doing something to mark Black History Month? Let us know at email@example.com, we’d love to share your story!
Here are some Black History Month events taking place across Canada. If you know of others, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be glad to add them to the list:
- A collection of Vancouver Black History Month events (Vancouver)
- A Black History Month spoken word and jazz event (Victoria)
- Chinook Series’ “Black Arts Matter” events (Edmonton)
- Eventbrite’s listings for Black History Month events in Toronto (Toronto)
- A collection of Toronto Black History Month events (Toronto)
- Facebook page for Ottawa’s Black history, with information on events (Ottawa)
Don’t miss out on the latest co-op news, success stories, and helpful resources for your co-op.
Sign up here to receive our eNews every two weeks straight to your inbox!