JOB POSTING: Manager, Co-operative Housing Development
Published November 27, 2023
The Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada is recruiting for a full time (35 hours per week), permanent position of Manager, Co-operative Housing Development. The position will be based out of any CHF Canada office (Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Truro) on a hybrid basis (with possible consideration for an alternate remote location), with a target start date of February 16, 2024.
Reporting to the Director, Co-operative Housing Development, the Manager, Co-operative Housing Development plays a critical role in the expansion of co-op housing by exploring options and opportunities for the creation of new co-op housing across the country including co-op expansions, redevelopment, mergers, acquisitions and new creative models for growth and funding. The Manager employs a collaborative and partnership-based approach in examining leads and opportunities for new co-op housing development, while also providing strategic leadership and management support in the delivery and administration of a co-op development fund. The Manager creates tools and education resources and maintains a network of development partners with the goal of adding new co-op units in a scalable and sustainable manner. This role is seen as a subject matter expert on non-market housing development and possesses the requisite knowledge to represent CHF Canada internally and externally.
What we’re looking for:
- A university degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of related post-secondary education and extensive relevant experience may be considered.
- At least five years of experience in real estate development and the full development lifecycle including: site identification and acquisition, development financing, financial analysis and feasibility, design, approvals, zoning requirements, negotiating and administering contracts and working with general contractors. Experience in non-market/non-profit/affordable housing development preferred.
- Excellent leadership skills, people management and design-centered thinking.
- Experience with community housing providers, specifically with co-operative governance and management, or transferrable experience from the community housing sector.
- Good knowledge and handling of project management methodologies and techniques.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work positively and effectively with a wide range of individuals, teams, organizations, and stakeholders involved in CHF Canada’s growth and development plans.
- Superior negotiation skills and ability to effectively balance competing or different interests and to move multiple parties toward a shared mutually acceptable resolution of all issues.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Experience with community housing programs, government funding and financing programs are an asset (i.e. Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Co-Investment, CMHC Rapid Housing Initiative, Rental Construction Financing Initiative, MLI Select etc.).
- Experience working with non-profit boards and familiarity with housing co-operatives is desirable.
- French-language proficiency or bilingualism is an asset.
CHF Canada is committed to building and retaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive working environment. In selecting candidates for this position, additional weight may be given to recognize diverse backgrounds and experiences, especially from underrepresented groups among CHF Canada’s current staff and management composition. CHF invites candidates to self-identify relevant experiences or background information that supports this organizational objective.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: CHF Canada – Manager, Co-operative Housing Development.
Starting salary: $100,441
Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m. EST, January 3, 2024 (revised)
Co-operative Housing Federation (CHF) of Canada thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CHF is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. CHF Canada is an equal opportunity employer and committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
CHF Canada is proud to have been recognized for the third year in a row as one of the National Capital Region Top Employers.
Don't miss out on the latest co-op news, success stories, and helpful resources for your co-op. Sign up here to receive our eNews every two weeks straight to your inbox!