We’re hiring: Director, Co-operative Housing Development
Published July 27, 2022
NOTICE OF PERMANENT POSITION: DIRECTOR, CO-OPERATIVE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT
The Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada is recruiting for a full time, permanent position of Director, Co-operative Housing Development. The position will be based in Toronto or Ottawa (with consideration for remote/telecommuting), with a target start date of September 2022.
Reporting to the Executive Director, and working alongside CHF Canada’s Senior Management Team, the Director leads the advancement of the co-operative housing sector’s vision of co-operative housing for all, by leading strategy development and implementation of CHF Canada’s objectives to sustain, scale, and grow the co-operative housing sector in Canada.
The Director will be responsible for substantively increasing co-operative housing development capacity within CHF Canada and across the co-operative housing sector through effective partnering with governments, funding and financial institutions, property developers, land trusts and sector associations, including resource groups, regional federations and property managers. The Director will lead CHF Canada’s role in the effective sector utilization of the eventual federally funded Co-operative Housing Development Program. The Director champions the co-operative advantage by embodying the co-operative values and principles in their work.
What we’re looking for:
- At least ten years’ experience of effective people leadership and management.
- At least ten years’ experience in residential real estate development, financing, acquisition and operation, especially in the context of non-market co-operative and non-profit housing. Familiarity with mergers and acquisitions is considered an asset.
- Ability to oversee and assure quality of technical work common to real estate development. Good knowledge and handling of project management methodologies and techniques. Experience with full development lifecycle including site identification and acquisition, financial analysis and feasibility, design, approvals, zoning requirements, negotiating and administering contracts and working with general contractors.
- Ability to work positively and effectively with a wide range of individuals, teams, organizations, and stakeholders involved in CHF Canada’s co-operative housing development initiatives.
- Highly effective in building a vast network of partners to generate shared value and transform systems.
- Capable of fostering a shared vision, leading change, getting buy-in, building deeply collaborative relationships and generating results.
- Superior negotiation skills and ability to effectively balance competing or different interests and to move multiple parties toward a shared mutually acceptable resolution of all issues.
- Demonstrated alignment with the co-operative values and principles.
- Familiarity with community engagement practices is an asset.
- Familiarity with housing policies and programs at local, regional and federal levels is an asset.
- Highly capable of financial analysis and budgeting.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Preference will be given to fluently bilingual (French/English) candidates.
- A post-graduate degree or diploma, or professional experience, in a related field.
CHF Canada is committed to building and retaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive working environment. In selecting candidates for this position, additional weight may be given to recognize diverse backgrounds and experiences, especially from underrepresented groups among CHF Canada’s current staff and management composition. CHF invites candidates to self-identify relevant experiences or background information that supports this organizational objective.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: CHF Canada – Director, Co-operative Housing Development.
Starting salary Range: $128,341 to $136,156
Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m. EDT, Friday, August 19, 2022
Co-operative Housing Federation (CHF) of Canada thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CHF is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. CHF Canada is an equal opportunity employer and committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
CHF Canada is proud to have been recognized for the second year in a row as one of the National Capital Region Top Employers.
Don't miss out on the latest co-op news, success stories, and helpful resources for your co-op. Sign up here to receive our eNews every two weeks straight to your inbox!